Skip to content

Main Navigation

Graduate Language Verification

MIAGE Second Language

Students in the MIAGE program must accomplish advanced proficiency in a second international language prior to completion of the program.

MIAGE students must accomplish advanced proficiency in a second international language prior to completion of the MIAGE program. This may be satisfied in one of the following manners:

  • Language Classes: Undergraduate or graduate transcripts show a grade of B or better for a foreign language at the 2020 level or higher, or the equivalent at another institution.  That grade must have been received within six years of your admission to the MIAGE program.  Students must include school transcripts as documented proof (unofficial transcripts are acceptable). 
  • Language Courses Concurrent with Graduate Classes: You may take language classes on campus while you are doing MIAGE studies. We will require a grade of B or better at the 2020 level.  All graduate students must register under the graduate course number 7300-001 when taking undergraduate language courses (1010-3060). 7300-001 serves as a placeholder for the undergraduate language course a graduate student needs to take to fulfill the language requirement. All languages will have this registration options open to graduate students. A graduate student should pick the undergraduate language course they wish to attend, and notify the instructor on the first day of class that they are a graduate student registered under 7300-001. The instructor will need to manually add a graduate student to both the class role and Canvas.
  • Language Placement Test:  One of the following language tests taken within the past six years may be used to demonstrate a language proficiency. Student must include test results as documented proof.  The certificate issued should show that you place in a 3000-level or higher.
    • Department of Languages and Literature Placement Test
    • Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)
    • MLA (Modern Language Assessment Test): Given at the U of U Testing Center
    • FLATS Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service) through BYU; can be administered at U of U Testing Center
    • Major Department Exam: Pass a foreign language examination designed by the major department in consultation with the Department of Languages and Literature. Any foreign language examination designed by the major department must be approved by the Department of Languages and Literature prior to administering the exam to a student. Once a department has designed an exam, the exam needs to be sent to the Department of Languages and Literature. Please allow the Department of Languages and Literature up to one week for faculty to provide feedback. Any exam not cleared by the Department of Languages and Literature prior to being administered to a student will not be accepted for language proficiency. 
  • Native Speaker:  The MIAGE program will waive the Graduate Language Requirement if a students speaks English as a second language.  Native Speakers of a language other than English must attach documented proof.  One of the following forms of documentation may be used to demonstrate a language proficiency.
    • Visa, passport, citizenship or residency card from native country
    • Diploma from a foreign high school or university
      • The country's official language must be the same as the student's native language in order to use this option. If you are bilingual or spoke a second language at home in an English speaking country, you must demonstrate proficiency through advanced classes or a foreign language examination.

Graduate Language Verification

All Graduate Language Verification is provided through the Department of Languages and Literature.  Students should be aware of the deadline for when the language verification requirement needs to be entered into your Electronic Graduate Record File to ensure graduation in a specific semester. Please click here to view this important date.  

Language Requirements

The graduate language requirement must be entered into a student's Electronic Graduate Record File by the Graduate Records Coordinator Darci Rollins. The students must complete the following steps:

  • Graduate Language Verification form: Please complete the form with all the necessary signatures and documentation. The form and documentation can be either emailed to Darci Rollins (, or delivered to the Graduate School, 302 Park Building.

  • Required Information: Students must have proper documentation demonstrating that the following requirements have been met:
    • Program required language proficiency: Students must have their Academic Advisor approve the Graduate Language Verification form.
    • Proof of language proficiency: For more information please see Demonstrating Language Proficiency below.
    • Year: Foreign language examination or language courses must have been taken not more than six years prior to the date of application for language verification. Nothing will be accepted past the Fall of 2008.
    • Grade / Pass: Students must earn at least a B grade (3.0) or better in a language course; or a passing score on a foreign language examination equivalent to the student's program required level of proficiency.
Last Updated: 3/26/20