Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the application components?

  • Statement of Purpose (or, Letter of Intent)
  • Three Letters of Recommendation
  • Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae
  • GRE, GMAT, MAT or LSAT scores 
  • Academic Transcripts
  • International students must prove English Proficiency

What are the required prerequisites?

Entering students must complete the following courses at the university level with a grade of "B" or better before beginning (not before applying to) the MIAGE Program:

  • Undergraduate Statistics
  • Microeconomic Theory*
  • Macroeconomic Theory*

Students who does not intend on taking further Economics classes beyond ECON 2010 and 2020 can choose to take ECON      1010 - Economics as a Social Science (or equivalent) to fulfill both ECON pre-requisites. 

Official transcripts with the grades for the prerequisite courses must be received by us before the first day of the semester you have applied for admission.

I took [some statistics or econ class] during my undergrad. Will this fulfill the prerequisite?

So long as it is from an accredited university, we accept any courses in introductory macroeconomics, introductory microeconomics, or introductory statistics (basic or applied) in which the student earns a C or better. Students who are unsure if a course meets the requirement can send a copy of the syllabus to the Program Manager.

Do I have to take the GRE or can you make an exception?

All applicants must take the GRE, the LSAT, the GMAT, or the MAT. Because we draw students from so many different fields, these tests give a common metric for comparing students of diverse academic backgrounds. The graduate entrance exam is only waived for students who have completed a post baccalaureate degree, are on active military duty or have demonstrated professional or academic excellence. If you believe you qualify for an exception because you are on active military duty or have achieved academic or professional excellence, please contact the Program Manager. 

Can I start the MIAGE program during the Spring or Summer semesters?

The MIAGE program no longer accepts applications for Spring and Summer semesters. When students start the MIAGE program in the Fall semester, they have a strong cohort to support them in their various classes. Also, it is important that students begin the program in the Fall because the program structure is designed so that classes build on skills and knowledge from courses taken in previous semesters. If you have a concern with starting during the Fall semester, please contact the MIAGE Program Manager and Program Director.

It’s been a while since my undergraduate degree and I’m worried my professors won’t remember me well enough for me to get a letter of recommendation. Do I need to have a letter of recommendation from a professor?

The faculty prefer that at least one be from a professor, however, they will certainly accept professional recommendations. Just no personal references (which includes pastors, etc.). Consider reaching out to a favorite professor from whom you took more than one class with a note reintroducing yourself (what classes she was in and when), why you would like to pursue this program (particularly if their class contributed to your desire) and an updated resume to share what you have been doing since she was last in their class. However, a lack of an academic reference should not dissuade you from applying.

I am an international student but have graduated with a degree from a university in the United States. Do I still need to take a language proficiency exam?

International students will not need to submit a testscore for English Proficiency if they have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher within the last two years from an officially-recognized college or university in one of the following countries:

  • USA, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)

You can read more about the Univeristy of Utah's English Proficiency requirements here: English Proficiency Information.

How much does the program cost?

MIAGE tuition costs fluctuate due to differential tuition, or added fees applied to business classes, law classes, and IAGE classes. Differential tuition is a source of revenue which is used to cover operating costs for departments, such as paying faculty, purchasing instructional supplies, etc.

If you only take the four required classes that carry differential tuition, the cost of the program is about $22,000 total. If you add additional course work in business and law, this will increase. The added costs are approximately $700/credit for business courses and $350/credit for law courses. 

For a more accurate cost estimate, we reccommend using the University of Utah's Tuition Estimator

Is there any financial assistance available?

There is limited funding available through MIAGE in the form of scholarships and graduate assistantships. The application for  MIAGE scholarships is due February 15. Selected recipients are notified in the spring and are awarded funding beginning in the Fall semester. We encourage students to seek out external sources of funding and make an effort to publicize any such opportunities we find. More information on this topic is available here: Financial Aid. Most MIAGE students fund their degree through a combination of external funding and federal student loans. 

I work full-time. Can I take night courses?

While there are a number of evening courses offered every semester, students should not count on this as a means of completing the program. Our schedule changes regularly at the discretion of the many departments from which we draw courses. Occasionally a required class will only be offered in the day time.

I already took [x, y, z] courses in my previous degree. Can I count those toward the MIAGE requirements?

No, it is university policy that a course cannot be counted toward more than one degree.

However, if you have previously taken graduate level courses that have not been applid towards a degree, please contact the Program Manager to discuss youroptions for transfer credits. 

My undergraduate degree is in [name of their undergraduate degree]. Is it bad that I don’t have an undergraduate degree in international studies or political science?

The MIAGE program has students from a variety of undergraduate degrees and backgrounds. We do have a handful of students that received their undergraduate degree in business, international studies, or political science, but many that didn’t. You shouldn’t be concerned so much with what your undergraduate degree is, but instead on your ability to show success in a rigorous academic program.

What kind of jobs do students get after completing MIAGE?

MIAGE graduates work in a wide range of fields and for a variety of different organization types. We have people working in private companies, NGOs, and for government agencies, though private companies tend to be the most common. Because of the breadth of their experience, they often fill leadership roles. A few MIAGE graduates have started their own businesses. The News and Highlights page on our website profiles graduates working in a number of fields, and it also lists organizations where our students have gone to work.

What are the internship requirements for the program? 

Internships must be approved by the MIAGE Program Director before beginning. The main qualification of the internship is that it fulfills one or more of the MIAGE core competencies. Internships may be local, national or international. Internships can range in the duration (or length of internship) and hours worked per week. If you have internship ideas or would like to brainstorm possible internship routes, please contact the MIAGE Program Manager to set up a meeting to discuss these options.

Can I take a Leave of Absence while in the program?

Leaves of Absence can be taken for multiple semesters. The Leave of Absence form must be signed by the Director and submitted to the Registrar. The purpose is to keep the student active in our system. Without the proper form, a student will be discontinued for inactivity after one semester of not being registered (excluding summer semester). The form MUST be submitted before the last day of class (before finals begin) for the first semester they are not registered for classes. They can (and it is highly encouraged) that they fill it out sooner than that, preferably when they know they will be taking a leave.

What are my options for completing the MRP requirement?

The MRP is your project/non-thesis required by the Graduate School in order to receive your M.S. It is designed to be the culminating written project of your master’s career and will be kept on file with the department for our accreditation purposes. While the majority of you will write your MRP as a traditional research paper building off of a topic you began researching in another course, there are alternatives because MIAGE is a non-thesis program. Two such acceptable alternatives to a traditional research paper are a Policy Analysis/Memo and a Project Plan or Business Plan. Neither of these alternatives is easier than a traditional research paper. These are simply different forms of scholarship that allow students to pursue the type of culminating project (MRP) that best represents their academic achievements and helps prepare them for their careers.

If you are interested in pursuing an alternative form of scholarship, you must submit a brief proposal that outlines your idea and research approach to Dr. Steve Bannister by December 15th. This deadline is to ensure that you are enrolled in the proper support course and/or have identified an expert who will help you develop your alternative type of MRP project.



Last Updated: 3/31/21